Walking With Jesus!!

It is not easy to walk with Jesus and yet a lot of Christians wanted to walk right with Jesus.. Therefore I really want to blog all my walks so that I can remember all the walks that I have had with Jesus and to rely on Him and allow Him to carry me when I couldn't walk right with Him anymore.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas verses Xmas

I sent quite a lot of Christmas wishes to my friends via phone text last night and today I received a lot of wishes back. But one thing that caught my eye and perhaps disappointed me most when it comes to receiving all this messages was they wish me Merry Xmas instead of Merry Christmas.
Sorry to say this but I felt that the Christmas wishes had all gone in vain when I received such wishes from them. For one thing, I am a conventional Christian believer and I believe in wishing everybody a Merry Christmas and not just Merry Xmas. I find this word Xmas very troubling. Everybody may say, "Hey, it is just a short form for Christmas". Perhaps you are right but from where I am taught when it comes to wishing people Xmas, it means wishing the unknown.
Why do I said that? Come to think of it. X, a lot of time represents the unknown. For instance, when it comes to mathematics, we always thought of X amount of people. How many are there? X amount of people. Do we know the exact amount. Nope. We only have X amount of people, and this for me is the unknown. We love treasure hunt right? When we look for treasure, we look for the X sign. How do we know where to look for this X sign? To be honest, we don't. So how? Well we go search for it. And where is the substance of this? Well there is none. We just do not know. So in another word, for me it meant unknown.
You may say, "Well nowadays we all love to write in short form, text in short form and perhaps in future spell in short form as well". Well why not do it this way. Instead of putting an X next to the mas, we replace it with the symbol + and make it +mas. (Mind you, this is plus sign and not t as in alphabetic per se) Well + represents cross and cross symbolises Christ. After all you want short form and what is the similarity between X & +? Well X & + are just one one alphabet and one symbol. Easy for you to write and perhaps type. And Christmas is about Christ and His birth and not about unknown and its unknown birth or whatsoever it is we are celebrating. In that sense we do not celebrate in vain cause if we celebrate Xmas, what are we celebrating on this 25th December? Is it Christ or it is the unknown?
Well I just want to use this opportunity to share my belief of using proper word for Christmas. Perhaps for everyone who are not Christian you might want to celebrate this end of the year season with joy and happiness. You use Xmas instead of Christmas. Fine. Nothing to comment bout your short form but there are some Christians who used the same Xmas to wish everybody else. Perhaps there is nothing wrong with it but I do not feel right using Xmas to wish everybody.
Reason? Well as a lot of people had told me of which I totally agreed to it. Christmas is about Jesus Christ who was born on this special day to give us hope. And this Christmas is about Him and Him alone. We do not take credit over Christmas, how we celebrated Christmas blah blah blah.. Its about Him. Therefore, we should give Him all the credit. Take Christ out of Christmas and 25th December is just another normal day. But put Christ into Christmas and it means hope, the hope that God had gave us and this is Christ Jesus. And this is an extra belief I want to include here. We had murdered an innocent Man on Good Friday, using the most cruel weapon 2000 years ago and I felt we should give Him the credit at least when it comes to Christmas by including Christ in our celebration because He was born just to save us. Don't you think so it's a bit cruel of us replace Him using X?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matthew 5:43-48 (N.I.V.)
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you that you may be sons of your father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.”
----------------------------------
God bless you in your efforts to share His Love and Word. In Jesus' name we pray. Amen
Allan and Marisela

2:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

christmas or xmas? i'm for the x version as that's the type of cross he was crucified on - an x shape,, the st. andrews cross.

merry xmas and pagan ritual all rolled into one.

11:49 am  
Blogger Ou Lik Ee said...

Allan and Marisela: Well thanks for the Bible verse though.. Am trying with wisdom to reach up to the world using this humble blog.. =) Hopefully God will give me more wisdom to share His greatness though.. Thanks.. =)

Anonymous: Well we are entitled to each other's opinion. That's why we are given freedom in Christ to do so. So feel free to continue read my blog as I, by God's grace and wisdom will touch others with God given wisdom through blogging.. =) Blessed Christmas..

6:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home