Walking With Jesus!!

It is not easy to walk with Jesus and yet a lot of Christians wanted to walk right with Jesus.. Therefore I really want to blog all my walks so that I can remember all the walks that I have had with Jesus and to rely on Him and allow Him to carry me when I couldn't walk right with Him anymore.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

God's Secret To Greatness: The Power of Towel

There is this one book I am really wanting to recommend to everybody who have the desire to be a great person, whether for God, for themselves and even to the whole wide world. The title of the book is called God's Secret To Greatness: The Power of The Towel, which is written by both an acclaimed Christian author by the name of David Cape and Tommy Tenney. This is one book that really makes me interested in reading cum studying the Word of God and knowing Him.
You must be wondering what is so special about towel since it is mentioned as a title of the book. I was also asking last time, actually not really asking but wondering. Well I came to learn bout this truth. Each time we bath what we use to wipe our body clean and dry? When we sweat what do we use to clean our face? When we wash our hair, what do we use to clean and dry our hair? The answer is of course, towel. Without towel, we will easily caught a cold, our hair would be wet after our bath and it takes time to dry it. What is worst is anybody who have a long hair would take even longer time to dry their hair. Isn't that shows any significant to us? For me it shows how a simple and cheap product like towel can clean us from sickness, from dirtiness, from wetness (when we sweat) etc etc... At the end of the day a clean and dry new brought product like towel eventually became dirty and filthy by just one usage.
Jesus use to wipe His disciples' legs. (John 13: 1-17)

1
Before the Passover celebration, Jesus knew that his hour had come to leave this world and return to his Father. He had loved his disciples during his ministry on earth, and now he loved them to the very end.[a] 2 It was time for supper, and the devil had already prompted Judas,[b] son of Simon Iscariot, to betray Jesus. 3 Jesus knew that the Father had given him authority over everything and that he had come from God and would return to God. 4 So he got up from the table, took off his robe, wrapped a towel around his waist, 5 and poured water into a basin. Then he began to wash the disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel he had around him.

6 When Jesus came to Simon Peter, Peter said to him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?”

7 Jesus replied, “You don’t understand now what I am doing, but someday you will.”

8 “No,” Peter protested, “you will never ever wash my feet!”

Jesus replied, “Unless I wash you, you won’t belong to me.”

9 Simon Peter exclaimed, “Then wash my hands and head as well, Lord, not just my feet!”

10 Jesus replied, “A person who has bathed all over does not need to wash, except for the feet,[c] to be entirely clean. And you disciples are clean, but not all of you.” 11 For Jesus knew who would betray him. That is what he meant when he said, “Not all of you are clean.”

12 After washing their feet, he put on his robe again and sat down and asked, “Do you understand what I was doing? 13 You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and you are right, because that’s what I am. 14 And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet. 15 I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you. 16 I tell you the truth, slaves are not greater than their master. Nor is the messenger more important than the one who sends the message. 17 Now that you know these things, God will bless you for doing them.

Well those verse I found from New Living Translation Bible where it says that Jesus uses towel as an example to be a blessing to others. I mean its a way towards humbleness. Towards humility. You may ask what does it got to do with greatness? Well it got a lot of things to do with greatness. For one, greatness came when no one else realized. I mean its not being great. It came with responsibility. While it came with responsibility, it shouldn't be all the while full of principle. I mean making it rigid. In life being great is just being humble and full of humility. Wanting to be childlike. Not just being great for ourselves. But let it be for God. Being great is being simple and plain. Not full of any flowery pattern of greatness. For example, a person who is great is just plain and simple. I mean Jesus do not use His power to be great. His meaning of greatness is just helping others and show good examples. I mean imagine using a towel and a bowl of water. Is that man's thought of being great or God's thought? I mean you can use that Jesus' legacy is nothing that difficult minded but kinda simple. Washing disciple's leg is not something great to do, you know. I mean how many of us willing to does that? I guess seriously if I were not to know who Jesus really is, I would say sorry people. Washing other people's leg are for losers. Not winners. Winners get to washes their legs by the losers. I mean that's the pattern of the world.
You can say proud people still survive what? What is wrong with that? Why must we follow low class pattern of humility? Well for one thing. Remember that Jesus died two thousand years ago. Which means He washes His disciples' leg and does all His humble servant style still applies until now. What about our ancestor who does a lot of great stuff but with pride? Can we still remember what they have done? I mean we barely have any memory over that. You may say that is because we do not have biography written for them though. Jesus have His biography written on His and that is called the Bible. Well you are right. But do you know that Jesus' humility and humbleness worth written and it is written not by one or two author by four Gospel author. In fact there are more author imitate His attitude. In fact they encouraged us all to follow Him. Not one or two author but more than five. It is all written in the New Testament of the Bible. And the ironic thing is they never met Him personally. Only quite a handful of them met Him before. People like Paul, John and a few others. And guess what? They are all His disciples and apostles. So imagine that.. =)
So I believe the way of greatness is being following His example and by being humble and living in humility. If possible go and buy the book. I strongly recommend the book to you and to whoever wants to live in greatness. Let us start the greatness walk by walking in humility. God bless.. =)

2 Comments:

Blogger Shan.E. said...

Baby Brother Lik EE!
It has been a long time. I have been busy with work and several potblesses (both hosting and attending). We still need to talk potbless strategy one of these days!
I just wanted to comment on this posting and let you know that I really feel you on the towel issue. You can't understand the importance of the towel until you've gone without. I recently went camping, and alas, did not bring a towel. I was dripping like crazy--body, hair, you name it, drip drip drop. And I recently had a urinary track infection, and I think it was because I didn't have a towel! Anywayz, I just wanted to give you a shout out and say "don't forget to bring a towel" ANYTIME.
Potbless 08!

1:08 am  
Blogger Ou Lik Ee said...

Sure.. Will do.. Just to say that Jesus' towel is His humility towards mankind.. =)If possible get the book.. Written by David Spade and Tommy Tenney.. The book inspire me a lot though.. =)

1:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home